Inspired by this letter by Jennifer Tsai and Ann Crawford-Roberts, I’m working on putting together a reading list to jump start conversation about Critical Race Theory in medicine at my family medicine residency. The goal of such a conversation is to develop a more effective anti-racism praxis in our medical system and our lives more generally. I’ll update this list as I get more recommendations. Please let me know if you have recommendations to add.
Professor Adrienne Keene’s open-access course in Critical Race Theory at Brown: Introduction to Critical Race Theory 2017
Recommended by Michelle Munyikwa
- “How race becomes biology: embodiment of social inequality” (PDF)
- “Systemic racism and U.S. health care.” (PDF)
- “Racism and Health I: Pathways and Scientific Evidence.” (PDF)
- “Racism and Health II: A Needed Research Agenda for Effective Interventions.” (PDF)
- Racial formation in the United States
Recommended by Jeremy Levenson
- “The public health critical race methodology: praxis for antiracism research.” (PDF)
- Critical race theory: an introduction
- Critical Race Theory: The Key Writings That Formed the Movement
If you are having trouble accessing any of these articles, let me know!